Jakarta. The country's antigraft agency on Wednesday (11/10) said that it will continue investigating all parties related to the illegal procurement of funds surrounding electronic identity cards, known as e-KTP, despite a recent pretrial court ruling that saw House of Representatives Speaker Setya Novanto dropped as a suspect in the case.
Setya, who many believe to be the main perpetrator in the case, was accused of receiving as much as Rp 574 billion from the project, which reportedly cost the state more than Rp 2.3 trillion, or $170 million, in losses since its inception in 2011. He was named a suspect in a Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigation earlier this year.
Setya's suspect status was dropped late last month after filing a pretrial motion at the South Jakarta District Court, where he argued that the KPK employed flawed or manipulative measures in their case against him.
However, the Constitutional Court on Tuesday said that despite winning a pretrial motion, former suspects in any KPK investigation are still eligible for further investigation if the agency deems it fit.
"Pretrial [results] won't stop the subject of the e-KTP case. We respect the pretrial decision [over Setya], but the case will still go on. And with the latest [Constitutional Court] verdict, our willpower to finish it has become stronger," KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said in Jakarta.
Febri did not disclose whether the agency will again name Setya as a suspect in the e-KTP case in the future.
"We're not yet talking about the legal status [of Setya], because we are also concerned about the case as a whole. But, everyone who is involved in stealing money from the project will be processed," he said.
"It's useless if there are efforts to prevent KPK from doing its job, as we'll still carry on to finish the e-KTP graft case," he concluded.